royal ascot royal enclosure dress code
Ladies are kindly reminded that formal daywear is a requirement in the Royal Enclosure, defined as follows:
- Dresses and skirts should be of modest length defined as falling just above the knee or longer.
- Dresses and tops should have straps of one inch or greater.
- Jackets and pashminas may be worn, but the dresses and tops underneath should still comply with the Royal Enclosure dress code.
- Trouser suits are welcome. They should be full length and of matching material and colour.
- Hats should be worn; a headpiece which has a base of 4 inches (10cm) or more in diameter is acceptable as an alternative to a hat.
Ladies are kindly asked to note the following:
- Strapless, off the shoulder, halter neck and spaghetti straps are not permitted.
- Midriffs must be covered.
- Fascinators are no longer permitted; neither are headpieces which do not have a base covering a sufficient area of the head (4 inches / 10cm).
Gentlemen are kindly reminded that it is a requirement to wear black or grey morning dress, which must include.
- A waistcoat and tie (no cravats)
- A black or grey top hat
- A gentleman may remove his hat within a restaurant, a private box, a private club or that facility’s terrace, balcony or garden. Hats may also be removed within any enclosed external seating area within the Royal Enclosure Garden. The customisation of top hats (with, for example, coloured ribbons or bands) is not permitted in the Royal Enclosure.
- Black shoes
Girls (aged 10-16) should dress for a formal occasion. Smart summer dresses are suggested. Hats, headpieces and fascinators may be worn but are not compulsory.
Boys (aged 10-16) should dress in accordance with the gentlemen’s dress code, or may wear a dark-coloured lounge suit with a shirt and tie (no hat required).
Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal National Dress of their country or Service Dress.
SERVING MILITARY PERSONNEL
Serving military personnel are welcome to wear Service Dress or equivalent.
Have a fabulous day at the races
lots of love